Tuesday, May 4, 2010

After Retirement

After a long and wonderful career as a commercial photographer in NYC I took a wrong turn. For some stupid reason I thought there was nothing more for me in photography. I joined a guy who was my friend, or at least I thought he was my friend. He had a Commercial Real Estate firm and he asked me to get a license and join him which I did. Made a few deals and a few bucks and in the end he screwed me out of a $35,000 commission. Some friend!
My career as a photographer was loaded with exciting assignments, high production jobs, tons of travel, a foray into directing TV commercials and more fun that a body could expect in a lifetime. One thing was for sure-I was a "picture maker". I was no street shooter or "picture taker". After almost 50 years of working with talented art directors, copy writers, producers, actors, camera persons, editors, retouchers, set designers, model makers and many more, something rubbed off on me and I thought it was time to put my tush on the line and start to use a craft I knew so well to "take" some images for me. I started on January 8th of 2007 and haven't looked back once. Did take a year off to teach at Hallmark Institute of Photography, an interesting and also frustrating period. I'm having a ball "picture taking"

No comments:

Post a Comment